Work for Robyn
ROBYN OCHS—an independent speaker, teacher, writer, and LGBTQ+ activist—seeks a self-motivated, organized, dependable, and innovative administrative assistant. Strong communication skills (writing, email, phone manner, etc.) are essential, and you should be comfortable with social media, Microsoft Office Suite, graphics creation, and WordPress.
15-20 hours/week. Requires working in Jamaica Plain, MA once a week. Other hours can be done at the time and in the place of your choosing. Start date: ASAP. A two-year commitment to this job is desired.
“Ten Things I Like About Working for Robyn” (by Beth, who was recently in this position)
- An opportunity to support someone whose work is changing the world.
2. Supporting someone who genuinely values your work & pays fairly.
- A casual, and stress-free work environment
- Interacting with LGBTQ+ activists, student groups, and faculty/staff at various universities.
5. Schedule flexibility for most of my hours.
6. Spending one day a week (or more!) in the company of Maggie, HarleyQuinn & Rocco (2 cats & a small lizard).
- Staying on the cutting edge of inter-community discussions about identity and sexuality—especially those beyond the binaries.
8. Always being up-to-date on LGBTQ+ issues within the US and worldwide.
9. Coming to work prepared to laugh, talk about politics, and eat garden-fresh vegetables!
10. Single-stall, all-gender bathrooms.
- Seek out speaking engagements for Robyn
- Maintain correspondence with schools and organizations interested in booking Robyn’s programs.
- Work with student groups, student life departments, and academic centers to coordinate logistics of Robyn’s speaking tours.
- Write, prepare, and proofread outreach mailings.
- Help to manage email and prioritize a busy inbox.
- Maintain a speaking calendar and online contact databases.
- Plan and book travel arrangements (flight, car, and hotels).
- Prepare, review, and process contracts.
- Design handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and graphics.
- Help keep Robyn’s social media and website up to date.
- Keep organizational systems running smoothly.
- Research relevant resources and identify and contact new potential hosts.
- Excellent phone and email communication skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, prioritize tasks, and focus while working from home/Robyn’s home.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Design experience, including graphic design and knowledge of relevant software.
- Ability to explain Robyn’s work and activism.
- Strong attention to detail.
Robyn enthusiastically welcomes applicants of all sexual orientations, genders, races/ethnicities, sizes, etc.
Email a cover letter, your resume and a paragraph explaining why you’d be a great fit for this position to email@example.com by December 1st. Interviews will take place in December The position starts mid-January (or sooner).
This is an hourly position. You could work as a consultant or as an employee, depending upon the details of our agreement. Hourly wage to be determined based upon experience, but will DEFINITELY be significantly above the minimum wage.