Work for Robyn
Posted on May 24, 2019
ROBYN OCHS—an independent speaker, teacher, writer, and LGBTQ+ activist—seeks a self-motivated, organized, dependable, and innovative administrative assistant. Strong communication skills (writing, email, phone manner, etc.) are essential, and you should be comfortable with social media, Microsoft Office Suite, and WordPress.
Requires approximately 20 hours/week September through May, and 15-20 hours/week June-August. Requires working in Jamaica Plain, MA once a week. Other hours can be done at the time and in the place of your choosing. Start date: July or early August. A two-year commitment to this job is desired.
“Ten Things I Like About Working for Robyn” (by outgoing assistant, Beth)
- An opportunity to support someone whose work is changing the world.
2. Supporting someone who genuinely values your work & pays fairly.
- A casual, and stress-free work environment
- Interacting with LGBTQ activists, student groups, and faculty/staff at various universities.
5. Schedule flexibility for most of my hours.
6. Spending one day a week (or more!) in the company of Maggie, HarleyQuinn & Rocco (2 cats & a small lizard).
- Staying on the cutting edge of inter-community discussions about identity and sexuality—especially those beyond the binaries.
8. Always being up-to-date on LGBTQ+ issues within the States and worldwide.
9. Coming to work prepared to laugh, talk about politics, and eat garden fresh vegetables!
10. Single-stall, all-gender bathrooms.
- Seek out speaking engagements for Robyn
- Maintain correspondence with schools and organizations interested in booking Robyn’s programs.
- Work with student groups, student life departments, and academic centers to coordinate logistics of Robyn’s speaking tours.
- Write, prepare, and proofread outreach mailings.
- Help to manage email and prioritize a busy inbox.
- Maintain a speaking calendar and online contact databases.
- Plan and book travel arrangements (flight, car, and hotels).
- Prepare, review, and process contracts.
- Design handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and graphics.
- Help keep Robyn’s social media and website up to date.
- Keep organizational systems running smoothly.
- Research relevant resources and identify and contact new potential hosts.
- Excellent phone and email communication skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, prioritize tasks, and focus while working from home/Robyn’s home.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Design experience, including graphic design and knowledge of relevant software.
- Ability to explain Robyn’s work and activism.
- Strong attention to detail.
Robyn welcomes applicants of all sexual orientations, genders, races/ethnicities, sizes, etc.
Email a cover letter, your resume and a paragraph explaining why you’d be a great fit for this position to email@example.com by June 14. Interviews will likely take place during the first week of July. Position starts August 1st(or sooner).
The hourly pay rate should really be published, especially given that LGBTQ people are significantly more likely to be in poverty and deserve to know how much they would be paid for this position before they apply!
You make a good point. The salary range will likely be between $16-18/hr, depending upon experience. And there is also the possibility of bonuses for new speaking engagements booked.